How does Tadalafil work?
Tadalafil is the generic version of the erectile dysfunction tablet Cialis, which makes it more cost-effective. Important questions about this new tablet include how long does Tadalafil take to work, how long does Tadalafil last and how should you take it correctly?
What is Tadalafil and how does it work?
Tadalafil is classed as a ‘PDE5 inhibitor’ and is a prescription only medication in the UK. It is licenced for men with erectile dysfunction (ED). ED is defined as a condition where a man cannot get or maintain a hard, erect penis suitable for sexual activity.
Tadalafil has been shown in clinical studies to significantly improve the ability to obtain a hard erection suitable for sexual activity for most men with ED. With sexual stimulation, Tadalafil works by helping the blood vessels in your penis to relax and open, allowing a good flow of blood into the penis. The result of which is a long lasting and firm erection.
Tadalafil will not help you if you do not have ED. It is important to note that Tadalafil does not work if there is no sexual stimulation. You and your partner will need to engage in foreplay to increase arousal as usual, just as you would if you were not taking medicine for ED.
How do I take Tadalafil?
Tadalafil should be taken at least 30 minutes before sex. The recommended starting dose is 10 mg Tadalafil which can be taken with or without food. If 10mg Tadalafil is not effective for you, then you can try 20mg Tadalafil (after consulting your doctor). Daily Tadalafil is ideal for men who have sex three times a week or more, and who want to enjoy spontaneous sex that does not have to be planned around medication. Daily Tadalafil comes in two doses, 2.5mg or 5mg.
How often should Tadalafil be taken?
Tadalafil should be taken no more than ONCE every 24 hours. That means only one pill every 24 hours, regardless of dosage. If no results occur, do not take another pill. Do not worry if you do not experience successful results the first time you take Tadalafil. This is not uncommon. Doctors recommend trying Tadalafil up to eight times before moving to a higher dosage or exploring an alternative treatment. You also should never take Tadalafil along with any other ED medications or creams.
How long does Tadalafil last?
Tadalafil can remain effective for up to 36 hours. This makes Tadalafil an ideal choice for men seeking more spontaneity in their sex-life. Daily Tadalafil can help to produce a firmer and longer lasting erection within 3-5 days of first use. Daily Tadalafil has been shown to be more effective for men who do not respond to on-demand higher dose tadalafil treatments.
What alternatives are there to Tadalafil?
Some men don’t respond successfully to Tadalafil, but there are many alternative treatments for ED. Other ED medications include:
- Viagra: The most well-known ED medication. Should be taken on an empty stomach. Lasts 4-6 hours
- Sildenafil: Sildenafil is the active ingredient in Viagra. It is chemically identical to Viagra but does not have the brand name and as a result is more cost-effective.
- Levitra: Similar to Viagra in length of effect but can be taken with meals. This medication has been shown to be more effective for diabetic patients.
- Cialis: The branded version of Tadalafil. Cialis is as effective as Tadalafil as they both contain the same active ingredients, but Tadalafil is a generic version, it is more cost-effective.
- Spedra: As the name suggests, Spedra is the fastest acting ED medication. It should be taken at least 15 minutes before sex
For more information on all of these products visit our erectile dysfunction clinic.