Spedra - what kind of medicine is it?
Spedra is a new drug in the same family as Viagra, Sildenafil, Cialis and Levitra. It is one of a class of medicines known as PDE-5 (Phosphodiesterase type 5) inhibitors. It is available to help men who have trouble getting or keeping an erection, otherwise known as erectile dysfunction. The scientific name for this prescription-only medicine is avanafil, but it is most commonly known by the trade name Spedra.
How does it work?
Spedra and the other PDE-5 inhibitors increase the blood flow into the erectile tissue in the penis. This effect only happens when you are sexually aroused.
How do I take it?
- Spedra should be taken approximately 30 minutes before sex, ideally on an empty stomach.
- You should not drink more than one or two units of alcohol as this will make Spedra less effective and increase the risk of side effects.
- You should not take more than one Spedra tablet at a time and not take more than one tablet in 24 hours.
- Spedra should not be taken within 24 hours of taking Sildenafil, Viagra, Cialis or Levitra.
Does it work more quickly than Viagra?
Yes, Spedra starts to work more quickly. You should get an effect within 30 minutes and some men will have a response within 15 minutes. (Viagra takes around an hour).
Spedra remains effective for between four and five hours, which is similar to Viagra. This does not mean that your erection will last that long – simply that you will have the ability to attain an improved erection for that period of time. If you take Spedra after a large meal, it may take longer to become effective.
Is it more effective than Viagra?
Spedra has only been available for a few months. It’s not clear about superiority of one drug over another at the moment. Unless you really want to have a faster onset of action, we’d still advise that you try the better known Viagra or Sildenafil in the first instance. If this does not give the desired effect, then trying Spedra next is an option.
How a particular man responds to any ED drug very much depends upon the underlying cause of his impotence, the severity of any underlying cause and his degree of sexual stimulation.
Are there any side effects?
- Like all medicines Spedra can have side effects. These side effects may be more pronounced than Viagra in slim men and also in men who take alcohol at the same time as Spedra.
- Side effects are generally mild and brief. The most common ones being; headache, light headedness and facial flushing.
- If you experience any side effect from taking this medicine please contact us via your online Patient Record.
- If you experience any chest pain when using Spedra or your erection lasts for longer than five hours then contact the emergency services or go to your local Accident and Emergency Department straight away.
What if I am taking other medicines?
Some medicines cannot be taken at the same time as Spedra, so here are some important things to remember:
- Nitrates: you must not take Spedra if you are taking nitrates. These are present in some medicines to treat angina and recreational drugs such as 'Poppers', 'Aromas' or 'Room Odorisors'. If you combine nitrates with Spedra your blood pressure can drop dangerously low.
- Alpha-blockers: if you are taking alpha-blockers such as alfuzosin, doxazosin, tamsulosin or terazosin you should only take 50mg Spedra initially. And then make sure there’s at least a six hour gap between taking the alpha-blocker and taking Spedra.
If you purchase Spedra from us, we will ask about any medication that you are currently taking.
Does Spedra cure impotence?
No, Spedra is not a cure. However, if the main problem is 'performance anxiety' then it can help build confidence.
In many men, erectile dysfunction is the first sign of a medical problem, such as high blood pressure or diabetes. It’s important, especially in men over the age of 40, to have these conditions looked for by blood testing and physical examination. Treatment of these other conditions is important for your entire health, as well as your sexual health.
If you suffer from erectile dysfunction and you're interested in ordering Spedra, please take our free assessment at the link below and mention your interest in Spedra in the relevant section: