About the over-the-counter hair loss bundle
What products will I get in this hair loss bundle?
In this over-the-counter hair loss treatment bundle you’ll get:
- Minoxidil 5% - a topical solution applied to affected areas
- DHT blocking shampoo – an argan oil shampoo that also contains saw palmetto and iron among others
- Biotin vitamins – a daily vitamin supplement that can help support hair health
These are all over-the-counter, or non-prescription, treatments that are widely sold to help men with male pattern baldness.
How will these treatments help my hair loss?
Male pattern baldness is hereditary and occurs when your body begins turning testosterone around the hair follicles to a hormone called dihydrotestosterone (DHT). DHT DHT attaches to receptors in the hair follicles causing them to gradually shrink causing hair to become thinner and shorter, eventually stopping growth altogether. Male pattern baldness treatment includes:
- Minoxidil solution helps increase the blood flow and supply of nutrients to the hair follicles, which can stimulate growth.
- DHT blocking shampoo contains saw palmetto, which its thought can help block the action of DHT. The other ingredients like iron and argan oil can also nourish the hair, keeping it healthy and strong.
- Biotin can help support the production of keratin. Keratin is a key building block in the hair and nails.
Using over-the-counter hair loss treatments together
You can use all three of these treatments at the same time, there’s no evidence to suggest there will be any negative interactions.
You can also combine them with prescription treatment Finasteride, if medically suitable. It’s one of the only clinically proven treatment for male pattern baldness. Find out more about our bundle containing these treatments and Finasteride here.
How effective are these over-the-counter treatments for hair loss?
How do I use these treatments?
If you want to see the benefit with hair loss treatments you have to use them continuously, generally when you stop, your hair loss will resume.
To use the treatments in this bundle:
- Apply the minoxidil solution to the affected areas of the scalp twice a day.
- Use the shampoo in your shower routine – leave it in for 60-90 seconds before washing out
- Take one biotin tablet each day
Do these hair loss treatments have side effects?
Like when starting any treatments, there is a chance you might experience side effects. But these aren’t common with the products in this hair loss bundle.
Some men using minoxidil might experience scalp irritation. There are no known biotin side effects, provided you take the biotin tablets in the right dosage. There are also no known side effects of DHT blocking shampoo.
If you have any side effects that are worrying you, you can contact our clinicians through your Patient Record.
Alternative treatments for hair loss
Minoxidil is one of the only proven ingredients to treatment male pattern baldness. Finasteride (sometimes known by its branded version Propecia) is a proven prescription-only treatment. After these, the only other proven solution is a hair transplant. But hair transplants aren’t an option available to everyone, as they can be expensive and invasive.
You could also look into wigs, hair pieces or makeup. Other so-called ‘hair loss vitamins’ are unlikely to help, but usually there’s no harm in taking these in safe doses.
Another way to keep your body (including your hair) as healthy as possible is to eat a healthy diet and make sure you’re getting all the essential nutrients.