Supporting you on your weight loss journey without Saxenda®
- Why is there a shortage of Saxenda®?
- Are there any side effects of stopping Saxenda®?
- When will stock become available again?
- Will stopping Saxenda® mean that I’m going to put weight back on?
- Tips from Dr Mitra
- Are there any other treatments I could try?
- LloydsPharmacy Online Doctor is here to support you
Reviewed by Dr Mitra Dutt
Why is there a shortage of Saxenda®?
Due to high demand and manufacturing limitations, there is a global shortage of Saxenda® (liraglutide). Our team are working hard so that we can offer medicated weight loss injections, including Wegovy, to new and existing patients when stock becomes available.
Are there any side effects of stopping Saxenda®?
Saxenda® is not addictive and you can stop it straight away with no need to wean yourself off it. There are no withdrawal symptoms. However, there is potential to regain weight as your hunger levels are likely to increase after stopping. This is less likely if you've made healthy lifestyle changes and stick to them.
When will stock become available again?
We do not know when stock will be made available, but you can sign up for updates on our medicated weight loss service here.
Will stopping Saxenda® mean that I’m going to put weight back on?
It’s likely you will regain your weight loss if you do not take steps to maintain it. Dr Mitra Dutt has prepared some lifestyle advice to help you sustain the progress you've achieved so far.
"Everyone is unique and what works for one person may not for another. Small changes can make a big difference when you stick to them. By incorporating as many of these simple yet effective changes into your daily routine, you can continue to lose weight in the long run."
Tips from Dr Mitra
- Plan and prep meals: invest time in planning your meals and snacks for the week ahead. By doing so, you can ensure that you have nutritious options readily available and avoid impulsive, unhealthy choices. Prepare your meals in advance, portion them out, and store them in containers for quick and easy access throughout the week.
- Fill half your plate with vegetables: boost your nutrient intake and manage your calorie consumption by filling at least half of your plate with colourful, fibre rich vegetables. Vegetables are low in calories and high in volume, helping you feel satisfied while providing essential vitamins and minerals.
- Practice mindful eating: practicing mindful eating can enhance your connection with food and help you make healthier choices. Slow down while eating, savour the flavours, and pay attention to your body's hunger and fullness cues. By eating with intention and awareness, you can better manage portion sizes and prevent overeating.
- Stay hydrated: drinking an adequate amount of water is essential for maintaining overall health and supporting weight management. Stay hydrated throughout the day and consider having a glass of water before meals to help control your appetite. Limit sugary drinks and opt for water as your primary choice of hydration.
- Snack smart: choose nutrient-dense snacks that provide energy and satisfy your cravings without derailing your progress. Opt for options like fresh fruit, Greek yogurt, raw nuts, or vegetable sticks with hummus. Be mindful of portion sizes and avoid mindless snacking in front of screens or when distracted.
- Get active: regular physical activity is crucial for sustaining weight loss and promoting overall well-being. Find activities that you enjoy and make them a part of your daily routine. Whether it's walking, jogging, gardening, dancing, or attending fitness classes, aim for at least 30 minutes of moderate intensity exercise most days of the week.
- Get proper rest: adequate sleep is vital for maintaining a healthy weight. Lack of sleep can disrupt your hormone levels, increase cravings for unhealthy foods, and hinder your motivation to exercise. Strive for 7-9 hours of quality sleep each night to support your weight management goals.
- Build a support network: surround yourself with a supportive network of friends, family, or fellow individuals on a similar weight loss journey. Sharing your challenges and successes with others who understand can provide valuable encouragement and accountability. Consider joining support groups or online communities for additional support.
"Remember, sustaining weight loss is a lifelong commitment, and it's completely normal to face occasional setbacks. Celebrate your achievements along the way and focus on making sustainable, long-term changes to your lifestyle."
Are there any other treatments I could try?
LloydsPharmacy Online Doctor also offers Orlistat, weight loss tablets. However, this treatment works in a completely different way to Saxenda® and is not as effective.
Orlistat prevents your body breaking down nearly 1/3 of the fat that you eat. The undigested fat is not absorbed into your body and is passed out with your poo (faeces). You will need to complete a medicated weight loss consultation to determine if it’s an appropriate treatment for you.
LloydsPharmacy Online Doctor is here to support you
Our healthy lifestyle hub has plenty of advice on eating healthily and looking after your wellbeing, such as: