- Reduces lung inflammation and can prevent asthma attacks
- Use daily as prescribed for best effect
- Standard inhaler device – push and puff
Used regularly and correctly, Seretide Evohaler can ease asthma symptoms and prevent asthma attacks.
Taking Seretide Evohaler
Usually, you will be prescribed 2 puffs twice a day.
Seretide Evohaler comes in 3 different strengths. We will advise which strength you need. Always use this medicine exactly as your doctor has told you. If you have any questions, contact us via your Patient Record.
How it works
Seretide Evohaler works as both a reliever and a preventer. It contains 2 active ingredients: salmeterol and fluticasone propionate.
Salmeterol is a long-acting bronchodilator. Bronchodilators are a type of medication that make breathing easier by relaxing the muscles in the lungs and widening the airways.
Fluticasone propionate is one of a group of medicines called corticosteroids, which are often referred to simply as steroids. Steroids have an anti-inflammatory action, reducing the irritation and swelling in the airways, and so ease breathing problems like asthma.
Seretide Evohaler helps control breathing immediately.
Used daily, Seretide Evohaler can help prevent asthma attacks and control symptoms, such as wheeze or a night-time cough. You should notice a difference in a few days.
You should also have a reliever inhaler like Ventolin (salbutamol) to hand in case of sudden breathing problems.
Correct inhaler use
- Stand or sit upright when using your inhaler. Remove the mouthpiece cover and check inside to ensure it's clean. Shake the inhaler 4-5 times.
- Hold the inhaler upright with your thumb on the base and fingers on the top of the canister – your hand should make a C shape. Breathe out as far as is comfortable and place the mouthpiece in your mouth, between your teeth. Close your lips around it and don't bite.
- Breathe in through your mouth - just after you start to breathe in, press down on the top of the canister to release a puff of medicine. Continue breathing in steadily and deeply. Hold your breath for as long as is comfortable.
- Wait 30 seconds and repeat to take another puff. Replace the mouthpiece cover after use.
Can cause throat irritation or thrush in the mouth. You can help by brushing your teeth, gargling, and/or rinsing your mouth out with water after each use.
Some people also experience headaches, muscle pain and aching joints when taking Seretide Evohaler.
For full information on side effects, see the patient information leaflet. If any side effects concern you, contact us via your Patient Record.
Safety: taking other medicines
You should be able to use Seretide Evohaler alongside other medicines. However, it is important that you let us know which prescription, over-the-counter medicines and recreational drugs you are taking so that we can prescribe Seretide Evohaler safely.
If you are pregnant or breastfeeding, have ever needed intensive care treatment for your asthma, or have been admitted to hospital because of your symptoms in the last year, we will be unable to prescribe you Seretide Evohaler.