- Reduces lung inflammation and can prevent asthma attacks
- Easier to use for some people – just breathe in (breath-activated)
- Doses are tracked – know when you're running out
Used correctly, Flixotide Accuhaler can help to prevent asthma attacks.
Taking Flixotide Accuhaler
Usually, you will be prescribed 1-2 puffs twice a day.
Flixotide Accuhaler comes in 3 different strengths. We will advise which strength you need. Always use this medicine exactly as your doctor has told you. If you have any questions, contact us via your Patient Record.
How it works
The active ingredient in Flixotide Accuhaler (fluticasone propionate), is one of a group of medicines called corticosteroids, which are often referred to simply as steroids. Steroids have an anti-inflammatory action, reducing the irritation and swelling in the airways, and so ease breathing problems like asthma.
Used daily, Flixotide Accuhaler can help prevent asthma attacks and control symptoms, such as wheeze or a night-time cough. You should notice a difference in a few days. Flixotide Accuhaler does not help control asthma immediately.
You should also have a reliever inhaler like Ventolin (salbutamol) to hand in case of sudden breathing problems.
Correct inhaler use
- Tear open the sealed foil wrapper along the jagged edge. To open your Flixotide Accuhaler, hold the case in one hand and put the thumb of your other hand on the thumb grip. Push your thumb away from you until you hear a click. This opens the mouthpiece.
- Hold the Accuhaler flat with the mouthpiece towards you. Slide the lever away from you until you hear a click. This places a dose of the medicine in the mouthpiece.
- Hold the Accuhaler away from your mouth, breathe out as far as is comfortable. Seal your lips around the mouthpiece and breathe in steadily and deeply through your mouth as far as is comfortable. Remove the inhaler and hold your breath for up to 10 seconds (or as long as you comfortably can). Breathe out slowly.
- Close the Flixotide Accuhaler by sliding the thumb grip towards you, ready for the next use. Rinse your mouth with water.
Can cause throat irritation or thrush in the mouth. You help by brushing your teeth, gargling, and/or rinsing your mouth out with water after each use.
For full information on side effects, see the patient information leaflet. If any side effects concern you, contact us via your Patient Record.
Safety: taking other medicines
You should be able to use Flixotide Accuhaler alongside other medicines. However, it is important that you let us know which prescription, over-the-counter medicines and recreational drugs you are taking so that we can prescribe Flixotide Accuhaler safely.
If you are pregnant or breastfeeding, have ever needed intensive care treatment for your asthma, or have been admitted to hospital because of your symptoms in the last year, our doctors will be unable to prescribe you Flixotide Accuhaler.