- Reduces lung inflammation and can prevent asthma attacks
- Usually taken twice a day
- Puff of medication released automatically when you inhale
Usually used in the morning and evening to reduce inflammation in the lungs. Used correctly, Qvar Easi-Breathe can help to prevent asthma attacks.
Taking Qvar Easi-Breathe
Usually, you will be prescribed 1-2 puffs twice a day.
Qvar Easi-Breathe comes in 2 different strengths. We will advise which strength you need. Always use this medicine exactly as your doctor has told you. If you have any questions, contact us via your Patient Record.
How it works
The active ingredient in Qvar Easi-Breathe (beclometasone dipropionate), is one of a group of medicines called corticosteroids, which are often referred to simply as steroids. Steroids have an anti-inflammatory action, reducing the irritation and swelling in the airways, and so ease breathing problems like asthma.
Used daily, Qvar Easi-Breathe can help prevent asthma attacks and control symptoms, such as wheeze or a night-time cough. You should notice a difference in a few days. Qvar Easi-Breathe does not help control asthma immediately.
You should also have a reliever inhaler like Ventolin (salbutamol) to hand in case of sudden breathing problems.
Correct inhaler use
- To open, fold down the cover that fits over the mouthpiece.
- Hold the inhaler upright, away from your mouth and breathe out as far as is comfortable. Place the mouthpiece in your mouth and close your lips around it.
- Breathe in slowly and deeply through the mouthpiece. You will feel a puff of medicine in your mouth – continue breathing in after the puff for as long as is comfortable. Hold your breath for 10 seconds (or as long as you comfortably can) and then breathe out slowly.
- To puff again, close the cap and wait 1-2 minutes, then repeat the process. Once you have taken your prescribed dose, replace the mouthpiece cover and rinse your mouth out.
Can cause throat irritation or thrush in the mouth. You can help by brushing your teeth, gargling, and/or rinsing your mouth out with water after each use.
For full information on side effects, see the patient information leaflet. If any side effects concern you, contact us via your Patient Record.
Safety: taking other medicines
You should be able to use Qvar Easi-Breathe alongside other medicines. However, it is important that you let us know which prescription, over-the-counter medicines and recreational drugs you are taking so that we can prescribe Qvar Easi-Breathe safely.
If you are pregnant or breastfeeding, have ever needed intensive care treatment for your asthma, or have been admitted to hospital because of your symptoms in the last year, we will be unable to prescribe you Qvar Easi-Breathe.