Karan completed his pre-registration training with LloydsPharmacy in 2010. He worked across different demographics covering east and north London before taking a Pharmacy Manager role.
Following this role he joined Royal Free Hospital in 2012/13. He worked across St Mary’s, Charing Cross, Hammersmith, St Barts and the Royal London hospitals, managing and clinically developing the growing outpatient pharmacy team.
In 2014/15, he undertook MSc in Economic Evaluation in Healthcare and worked as a Health economist whilst practicing as a locum pharmacist across different community pharmacies.
He then returned to hospital pharmacy in 2017 whilst undertaking projects at Kings College Hospital and the Royal Free in 2018. It was at the Royal Free Hospital, that he undertook his Independent Prescribing qualification and successfully completing it in the same year.
After completion of the Independent prescribing course – he practiced across different primary care networks managing chronic conditions with a focus on care home patients. He joined the Clinical Team at LloydsPharmacy Online Doctor in January 2021.
Qualifications & memberships
- Master of Pharmacy (University of Reading)
- Master of Economic Evaluation in Healthcare (City, University of London)
- Independent Prescribing Level 7 (University of Reading)
- Member of the Royal Pharmaceutical Society
- Member of the General Pharmaceutical Council
Medical specialty and areas of interest
- Pain management
- Palliative care
- Minor Illness
1. Cost-effectiveness of an electroceutical device in treating non-healing venous leg ulcers: results of an RCT; Julian F Guest, Heenal Singh, Karan Rana, Peter Vowden; Published Online:11 Apr 2018; https://doi.org/10.12968/jowc.2018.27.4.230
2. Cost-effectiveness of using a collagen-containing dressing plus compression therapy in non-healing venous leg ulcers; Julian F. Guest, Karan Rana, Heenal Singh, Peter Vowden; Published Online:9 Feb 2018; https://doi.org/10.12968/jowc.2018.27.2.68
3. Cost-effectiveness of Coblation compared with cold steel tonsillectomies in the UK; J F Guest, K Rana, C Hopkins; Publishes Online: 24th January 2019; https://doi.org/10.1017/s0022215118002220