This is a highly nutritious and colourful dish packed with vegetables, and is ideal for vegetarians or those taking a break from meat.We’ve opted for wholegrain pasta, which has the benefit of being more fibrous and flavoursome than regular pasta as well as being more heart-friendly. Through our choice of tomatoes, fennel and aubergine you’ll be getting a healthy dose of vitamin A and C, potassium, iron and essential dietary fibre.
Although delicious on its own, this recipe serves as a great base for different culinary variations. If you want to add heat, why not add crushed chillies or a fresh red chilli pepper? Boost protein and omega 3 by adding fresh grilled mackerel, cooked peeled prawns or some tuna. For a richer flavour, try adding half a glass of red wine and a few sliced mushrooms.
- 180g wholegrain pasta
- 1 red pepper, quartered and deseeded
- 1 aubergine, peeled and sliced
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 fennel bulb, chopped
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 1/2 tsp fennel seeds
- 1 tbsp tomato purée
- 200g chopped tomatoes
- 400g vegetable stock
- Grill the pepper underneath for 10 minutes, skin side up, and add the sliced aubergine after 5 minutes.
- Heat the oil in a saucepan and cook the chopped fennel and onion for 8 minutes. Stir in the garlic, fennel seeds and tomato purée, and cook for a further 2 minutes.
- Cook the pasta according to the instructions on the pack.
- Add the canned tomatoes and stock to the rest of the cooked vegetables and simmer for 20 minutes.
- 1 baking tray
- 2 saucepans